Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lilium-lily
The plants of the genus Lilium are the true lily plants.They are important as showy and large flowered garden plants, and in literature.
Lilies are native to the northern temperate regions.
Lilies are usually erect leafy stemmed herbs.
The large flowers have three petals along with three petal-like sepals, often fragrant, and come in a range of colours ranging through whites, yellows, oranges, pinks, reds, purples, bronze and even nearly black. Markings include spots, brush strokes and picotees.
The plants are summer flowering, but Lilium candidum bears a basal rosette of leaves for much of the year. Flowers are formed at the top of a single erect stem, with leaves being borne at intervals up the stem.
Lilies are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera .
Lilies are commonly adapted to either woodland habitats, often montane, or sometimes to grassland habitats. A few can survive in marshland and a single one is known to live as an epiphyte .

TECHNORATI tags:

6 Comments:

Blogger Wystful1 said...

I saw your comment in Jon's art work and read the word 'garden' in your nickname for your blog. Me with loving to work with flowers and such, (I have a 2nd blog that is linked at my main blog) and I love blogging about my flowers too. Your blog is quite interesting. Thanks for sharing!!!!

3:19 AM  
Blogger starry nights said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and come again. I love to garden also and enjoy your posts.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Tigre said...

I think that lillies are the next roses, you can bring lillies on a date and they'd do just fine.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Prash said...

Lillies are very nice flowers. You can use this flower for any occassion. I love them.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Kerri said...

Lilies are wonderful. Thanks for visiting my blog. It's always nice to meet new blog friends :)

9:24 PM  
Blogger Darius said...

Thanks - more informative than the average blog post. I always wished I knew more about plants, even just the names, back when I wrote more poetry.

But is that single lilly known to live as an epiphyte in some sort of monastic order?

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home